Instagram

Sunday, June 28, 2015

Lubec - Campobello Island Day Trip


Lubec is a small city in Maine, United States that is located next to Campobello Island, another small city in New Brunswick, Canada. To visit Campobello Island from Lubec, I had to cross the Canadian Border Patrol. 



The border between Lubec and Campobello Island
One thing not to miss when visiting both Lubec and Campobello Island is to look at the lighthouses. Both cities have a lighthouse, the one in Lubec is West Quoddy Head lighthouse and the one in Campobello is East Quoddy Head lighthouse. The East Quoddy Head lighthouse is also known as Head Harbor Lighthouse. This lighthouse is one of the most photographed lighthouse in the world. 

West Quoddy Head Lighthouse in Lubec, Maine
East Quoddy Head Lighthouse in Campobello Island, New Brunswick
On my visit to Campobello Island, the first thing I did was to visit Franklin Roosevelt International Park. Franklin Roosevelt was an American political leader that served as the 32nd President of the United States. In this park, I visited the Franklin Roosevelt's vacation house and museum at visitor center. There is no fee to enter the park. There are couples of hiking trails that is great for short one day hiking. There is also a Raccoon beach in this park. The most scenic place in this park, in my opinion, is the Liberty point. I visited this liberty point during the trip. 

Franklin Roosevelt's Cottage
Visitor Center of Franklin Roosevelt International Park
Liberty Point inside the Park

Since it was the lunch time, I ate at Fireside Restaurant. I took a 10% coupon for this restaurant at the Franklin Roosevelt International Park's visitor center. I ordered lobster roll with a salad and balsamic vinaigrette as the dressing. This lobster roll was the biggest one that I had ever eaten in New England and Canada. I would rate this restaurant 4.5/5. The restaurant itself is very clean.
Lobster Roll with a Salad
After lunch, I visited East Quoddy Head Lighthouse. This lighthouse is located at the Head Harbor, the tip of the island. To reach the lighthouse, I had to pay $5. The only time you can reach this lighthouse is during the low tides. 

This rock floor will cover with sea water during the high tide
3/4th of the Stairs will be covered by water during high tide 

From East Quoddy Head Lighthouse, I headed out to Herring Cove Beach. In this beach, it used to have a resort and a popular beach. The amount of people who visited this beach when I went there could be count with my fingers. The sand at the beach were not white as seen in beaches in Florida but it was very clean. The water in most beaches in New England was not blue due to the organism in depth of the sea. This beach will be one of my favorite beach and I will go often since its location close to my house. I just need to cross border in order to go there. This time, I skipped it since I did not bring any swim suit.

Herring Cove Beach
We left the beach to catch a ferry to deer isle. The fee to cross deer isle was $16/car and $4/passenger. This ferry run only in June to September for every hour from 7AM to 7PM. From deer isle, we caught a ferry to L'etete and went to St. George. 


In St. George, I only went to Granite Fall and Tim Horton to eat chicken noodle soup. From St. George, I drove back home by crossing US border patrol in Calais, Maine.

Granite Fall


No comments:

Post a Comment